Matcha is a refined green tea powder from Japan, which has been used there for centuries in ceremonies. It is not only perfect for making a refreshing cup of tea, but also for inclusion in sweet snacks, like these matcha coconut raw cupcakes! The matcha gives your cakes a healthy twist and a sublime green colour.
Biotona offers three qualities of matcha. The difference in flavour depends on how long the tea plants are overshadowed, the size of the leaves, the expertise and experience of the farmers and the location (climate, soil, altitude, etc.). You can choose whichever matcha best ‘matches’ your personal preference.
|For the crust|
|Rolled oats||½ cup|
|Shredded coconut||½ cup|
|Maple syrup||2 tablespoons|
|Coconut oil||2 tablespoons|
|Cold water (if needed)||1 tablespoon|
|For the green layer|
|Full fat coconut milk (from a can)||½ cup|
|Maple Syrup||2 tablespoons|
|Lemon juice||Of a half lemon|
|Biotona Matcha||2 tablespoons|
- Soak the cashews for 6-8 hours in cold water, or if you don’t have time, for 30 minutes in hot water.
- Prepare the crust - add oats and almonds to a food processor and blend until broken into small pieces. Add shredded coconut and blend again. Add salt, maple syrup and coconut oil, bled until you have a consistency of wet sand. If the dough is not sticky enough, add 1 tbsp of cold water and blend again.
- Press the dough into 8 silicone muffin molds and place in the freezer while you prepare the second layer.
- Place all the green layer ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the green mixture into the muffin molds, over the crust, and place back in the freezer. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- Take out of the freezer at least 30 minutes before serving.