Get your day off to a great start with this fruity vegan version of French toast for your breakfast, complete with banana and blueberries.
The berries in question are 100% organically grown European blueberries, infused with an apple juice concentrate. The dark blue colour of these berries is due to high levels of anthocyanins, which are substances produced by the shrub to protect its fruits against harmful external influences. The berries used by Biotona are picked in the wild at altitudes in excess of 1500 metres, following which they are immediately dried to retain maximum goodness and flavour.
|Ingredients (Makes 4 rolls)|
|Whole grain toast bread||4 slices|
|Ground flax seeds (sub ground chia seeds)||1 tablespoon|
|Almond milk||80 ml|
|Biotona Blueberries||4 tablespoons|
|Coconut oil||1 tablespoon, for cooking|
|Maple syrup||1 tablespoon|
|Deep plate, rolling pin, skillet|
- Place bread slices on a flat surface. With a sharp knife, cut off the edges and roll each slice with the rolling pin until flattened.
- Mash the banana in a deep plate. Add ground flax seeds, almond milk and cinnamon, mix until well combined.
- Heat coconut oil in the skillet.
- Dip both sides of a bread slice in the mixture. Sprinkle one side with a tablespoon of dried blueberries, then roll tightly. Repeat with the remaining bread slices.
- Place bread rolls on the hot skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes, rolling to the other side halfway through.
- Serve warm with maple syrup.